Electrician gloves are personal protective equipment (PPE) used whilst carrying out work on energised equipment. The gloves are used mainly by linemen involved in the maintenance of energised power supply lines. The electrician glove forms the first line of defence against electrocutions in the utilities, telecommunication and transportation industries, in particular, the electric power trains, hybrid automobiles and Formula 1 racing circuits since the introduction of KERS system.
Electrician gloves are classified by the level of voltage protection they offer. Voltage protection is categorised as follows:
- Class 00 – maximum use voltage of 500 volts AC
- Class 0 – maximum use voltage of 1,000 volts AC
- Class 1 – maximum use voltage of 7,500 volts AC
- Class 2 – maximum use voltage of 17,000 volts AC
- Class 3 – maximum use voltage of 26,500 volts AC
- Class 4 – maximum use voltage of 36,000 volts AC